Monday 13 August 2012

Kenya - Liota Plains, spiky plants

Here is a random post. Just about every plant on the Liota Plains had some kind of thorn on it. Trees, bushes, flowers, you name it, it had a thorn. I was kind of amazed by how prolific they were and took photos of all the ones I found. Philip and Nicholas looked at me like I was daft for taking pictures of thorns.

The most impressive were the acacia trees. They had five inch thorns and some also had resident stinging ants. I wasn't too surprised when I had an inch long thorn snapped off and jammed in my knee after an attempt at some (unsuccessful) creative photography. I'd complain about how much it hurt and the infection I got, but …

Our guide, Philip, got attacked by a water buffalo while out with his cattle. The horn pierced his thigh completely and he got thrown into an acacia tree. He has a cataract in his eye where a thorn went in. He said it took 2 days for someone to find him.

The stinging ants live in the black bulbs
Yes, these are sharp
The nectar is sweet, esp after getting stabbed under the fingernail
 

2 comments:

  1. Jeez! Why is the vegetation so angry??!! Love the pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, I would have done the same thing

    ReplyDelete